Sometimes we take training young athletes for granted. Give them almost anything and they will see some initial growth, but true long-term development requires a more thoughtful process. This month on HMMR Media we explored training the young athlete. Through 3 new videos, 4 podcasts, and 4 articles from 11 world class coaches we explored examples of training methods, long-term athlete development, key issues facing youth athletics, as well as ideas on how these concepts can be transferred to older athletes as well.
Below you’ll find links to all our new resources and some highlights from our archives on the topic. As always, become a Plus Member to make sure you get access to all of the vast resources on the site.
Resources on the young athlete
- The problem with pathways (aka how to put together a real Endgame) by James Marshall
- An introduction to using games in training by Martin Bingisser
- Why talented youngsters rarely make it to the top by Craig Pickering
- Thoughts on progressing the athlete by Martin Bingisser
From the archives
- GAINcast 114: Building an academy with Finn Gundersen
- GAINcast 96: The Arsenal arrow with Des Ryan
- GAINcast 79: Talent development with Vern Gambetta
- GAINcast 69: Long-term development with Patrick McHugh
- GAINcast 37: Physical education with Greg Thompson
- HMMR Podcast 175: Rediscovering play with James Marshall
- What about LTAD? and LTAD – Let them be kids first by Vern Gambetta