The modern barbell is over a century old, but we are still exploring its use in training. Throughout June we took at the barbell, with topics ranging from lessons from top Olympic lifting coaches, to whether we even need the barbell at all. In total we produced 2 new podcast episodes and 7 new articles from 7 contributors and guests.
Below you’ll find links to all our new resources and some highlights from our archives on the topic. You can also look back on our April 2018 site theme, beyond the barbell, for a different perspective. As always, become a Plus Member to make sure you get access to all of the vast resources on the site.
Resources on the barbell
- Training talk with John Thrush Part 1 and Part 2 by Martin Bingisser
- How we use the barbell and how we can use it better by Tracy Fober
- Why athletes should avoid the bar by Steve Myrland
- Kids and weightlifting by James Marshall
- Using time as a training variable by Martin Bingisser
- Some ideas on how to approach velocity-based training by Nick Garcia
Talking with weightlifting coaches:
Discussions about the role of Olympic weightlifting in training:
Articles from our coaching team:
- The role of Olympic lifting in athletic development by Vern Gambetta
- The speed-specificity of Olympic lifting for sprinting by Warren Young
A multi-part roundtable on lifting: