Everybody trains and everybody trains hard. So what separates the good from the great? How they use their time and energy in training. The best coaches and athletes have a relentless focus on learning and getting better. On this week’s GAINcast we dive into some thoughts on getting better, including some practical examples of how to put learning processes into practice.
Notes and quotes
- 4:00 – Understanding the learning and training process: “The learning process is based on acquiring new habits and changing old habits. “
- 6:30 – Chasing perfection and making it stick: “Practice does make perfect; practice only makes possible – no guarantees. “
- 8:00 – Finding purpose and direction.
- 9:00 – Implicit vs. explicit learning: “Explicit learning is acceptable in the early stages of learning to guide the athlete and move them forward. Gradually switch toward implicit learning by giving the athlete more difficult movement problems to solve. ” “Talk it (clear explanation), chalk it (demonstration) and walk it (imitation) – then let them spread their wings and fly. “
- 12:00 – Making implicit learning work and finding the right constraints.
- 14:00 – Debriefing.
- 15:30 – Drills: “Drills do not equal skills. Use drills selectively and prescriptively. “
- 18:30 – Interleaving and putting it into practice: “You practice a skill, you leave it, and you come back to it. “
- 23:45 – Attention: “The coach is the catalyst that directs the athlete’s attention to the appropriate action. They don’t have to comment on every movement. Limit the amount of feedback and let them internalize it. “
- 25:30 – Cognitive vs. motor learning.
- 27:30 – Getting an edge: “Everybody practices and we are all looking for an edge. It is looking at what we do and seeing how we can do it better. “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is brought to you by GAIN and HMMR Media. The HMMR Media monthly theme in August is conditioning. We’ve got lot of great content planned, so stay tuned and join HMMR Plus so that you get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- You can read Vern’s recent article on this topic.
- We’ve covered some related topics on prior episodes, including GAINcast 121 with Wade Gilbert on coaching better, GAINcast 20 on getting better and getting better, GAINcast 81 on changing practice, and GAINcast 47 with Harry Marra.
- Two books recommended in this episode: Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning and Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World.