On Episode 8 of the Jack Skille Show we are joined by Olympian Jonathan Garcia. Growing up in Houston, he somehow found his way into speed skating and two Olympic teams. He shares his journey and development, as well as his impressions on hockey since starting to get involved in the sport.
- 0:00 – Getting into an ice sport while growing up in Houston.
- 4:45 – Switching from short track to long track speed skating.
- 7:00 – Creating your own path and developing work ethic.
- 19:45 – Consistency: “I can’t tell you how many athletes were way better than me when I was coming up: technically or physically. The thing I had that they didn’t was consistency.”
- 23:30 – Olympic experience and reorienting after the first Olympics.
- 30:00 – Decision to retire and transition to coaching: “A little success in coaching was a better feeling than anything I accomplished on my own.”
- 37:00 – Off vs. on ice training: “Off ice work teaches you what hard work is, and the value of hard work.” “The rock band that has unlimited funds to go into the studio doesn’t always have the drive of a band with just 3 hours to record.”