To kick off season 2, we sit down to share our tips, stories, and lessons learned about transitions and post-career identity.
- 0:00 – Introducing season 2.
- 2:00 – Preparing for transitions: “You always have to plan ahead for the next step since it could come tomorrow. In the hammer throw the next step happens in parallel with the first step since few can even make a living at the sport.”
- 5:30 – Finding and re-finding passion.
- 12:45 – Entrepreneurism: “Want to be an entrepreneur? Have a safety net so you can really experiment without fear of whether you’ll make the rent, or pressure to do that.”
- 16:00 – Financial planning.
- 19:30 – Hockey hiatus: “We can try the hardest to get all of our ducks in a row and smoothen our transition out of sport, but no matter how hard you try to smooth it out, there will still be a transition period. Embrace the transition and be patient.”
- 23:30 – Patience: “Proactivity and patience go together. If you aren’t proactive and find yourself in a bad situation, then you can’t afford to be patient.”
- 26:00 – The process.
- 28:30 – The story of Blake Geoffrion.
- 31:45 – The stigma of being a former pro athlete.
- 34:45 – Becoming your own boss: “As an athlete so much of your life is taken care of by someone else. After your career is over you’ll have to put up with more bullshit and deal with a wider variety of people.”
- 39:00 – Final thoughts and season preview: “Preparing for the next phase can help you with the current phase.”