https://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/skille_s2e3.jpg 900 900 Jack Skille http://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HMMR-Full-Logo400.png Jack Skille2020-12-10 09:31:342020-12-10 10:17:06Jack Skille Show Season 2, Episode 3: John Mitchell on moving on
Jack Skille Show Season 2, Episode 3: John Mitchell on moving on
On this week’s show John Mitchell discusses his NHL career, plus the difficulties of deciding when and how to move on.
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 2:00 – Starting in hockey and developing a passion.
- 5:30 – Getting drafted.
- 9:30 – Making the pros and expectations vs. reality.
- 14:30 – Identity shift and role change: “Every player that makes the NHL was one of the top players on the team when they were growing up. The pro game is different.”
- 25:00 – Dealing with the ebbs and flows of the game: “If you identify solely as a hockey player, you’re riding a roller coaster and it’s hard to be a normal person. The best pros can stay calm and take things as they come. They have a life outside the game.”
- 29:00 – Transitioning out of the game: “No athlete is entirely happy when they retire from a sport they love and have played since a kid.”
- 34:00 – Transitioning to European hockey.
- 39:15 – Starting retirement.
- 44:00 – Finding purpose.
- 49:00 – Getting through it: “I want people to hear that you’re going to be ok. It’s a transition period. It’s going to suck. There are challenges, but those challenges are good.”
- 52:00 – Where to start: “Start with service. Find a way to serve in something you are passionate about. Maybe you aren’t even paid, but you’ll find people that can point you in the right direction.”