https://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/skille_s2e5.jpg 900 900 Jack Skille http://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HMMR-Full-Logo400.png Jack Skille2020-12-24 09:23:572020-12-24 09:25:27Jack Skille Show Season 2, Episode 5: Molly Engstrom on losing control
Jack Skille Show Season 2, Episode 5: Molly Engstrom on losing control
Often, the longer you do something, the harder it is to stop. Molly Engstrom was at the top of women’s hockey for more than a decade, wining two Olympic medals and four world titles. When it finally came time to retire, it was painful to let go of the one thing she knew well in life. It can feel like you’re losing control. She joins this week’s episode to discuss dealing with the loss, regaining control, and finding purpose in chaos.
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 3:00 – Engstrom’s current activities and getting into coaching.
- 6:45 – Learning to play hockey.
- 9:45 – Playing with the boys.
- 14:45 – Developing the passion for hockey.
- 16:45 – Faith and transitions: “The beauty of my career is that I played until 35. There are not many women that play beyond 30. That was fantastic, but the fall was then harder. It was the most painful thing in my life.”
- 22:15 – Dealing with grief.
- 26:45 – Changing directions and the roller coaster: “It is so easy to fall into the trap of the roller coaster of successes and failures.”
- 35:30 – Finding purpose in chaos and keeping a positive mentality.
- 41:45 – Dealing with lack of control and finding new pursuits: “We are professional athletes and when we suck at something it is discouraging.”
- 53:00 – How does Engstrom identify herself.
- 58:30 – Final thoughts.