Every coach make mistakes, and some mistakes we all make over and over again. On this week’s GAINcast, we talk about eight common traps coaches fall into and how coaches can avoid them.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 2:45 – Error 1: too much, too soon. “As coaches, we have a clear image of what the final product should be and what we see the athlete in front of us. We try to speed up the process between the two rather than taking it in steps.”
- 9:00 – Error 2: training to an athlete’s weakness. “Have a priority approach so you don’t compromise their strengths while you’re working on their weaknesses. Ask if it is really a weakness or a perceived weakness, then prioritize the weaknesses.”
- 14:00 – Error 3: more is better. “If you look at the athletes that make a major breakthrough they rarely say: I did more to get here. It is normally that they trained more consistently. Focus on consistency and you will get more volume too.”
- 16:45 – Error 4: the warmup is the workout. “Really understand what follows the warmup. The warmup is to prepare you for the subsequent workout. The warmup should build in a crescendo manner and there should be a seamless transition.”
- 21:15 – Error 5: training speed out. “Beware: volume will kill speed.”
- 24:30 – Error 6: too hard on easy days and too easy on hard days.
- 25:45 – Error 7: starting over each year to build the base. “You don’t got back to scratch every year, you should build upon the previous year.”
- 34:15 – Error 8: over testing. “You have to find your sweet spot in regard to testing and readiness. What are you getting from that kind of information? If the testing does not translate into changing what you do in training and how you work with the athlete, then why are you doing it?”
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. We just announced the lineup for next season and opened up registration. You can learn more here.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- Vern also shared some training do’s and don’ts in two blog posts here and here.
- If you’re looking for some practical tips to improve you coaching check out GAINcast 129 with tips for young coaches and GAINcast 30 on coaching shortcuts. Polarized training was also discussed in several of the errors. You can learn more about that topic from Stephen Seiler in GAINcast 188.