High performance comes in many forms: winning a gold medal, fighting a pandemic, or simply managing people. Dr. Michael Joyner has experience across all of these areas as a research on the limits of human performance, and the lead research on breakthrough COVID therapies. He joins this week’s podcast to share some insights on the principles of high performance.
Notes and quotes
Dr. Michael Joyner is an anesthesiologist and physiologist at the Mayo Clinic. He is one of world’s leading authorities on the limits of human performance and also the lead researcher for clinic’s convalescent plasma therapy program.
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 4:15 – Update on the Mayo Clinic’s convalescent plasma therapy program.
- 9:00 – Low tech solutions: “If you look at what’s made the most contributions to fight the pandemic, it is public health measures that have been known more than a century: social distancing, masks, and vaccinations.”
- 16:00 – Finding unidentified space and not being prisoners of conventional wisdom: “You have to master conventional wisdom, but not be a prisoner of it.”
- 20:00 – Avoiding silos.
- 23:00 – Getting outside of and competing outside of your comfort zone.
- 30:30 – HRV: “Some measurements are good in populations, but not individuals. For example BMI is a terrific measurement in populations, but not all individuals.”
- 37:45 – Performing well after a bad start.
- 42:15 – Managerialism vs human performance: “Managerialism measures what can easily be measured, ignores what can’t be measured, and direct everything towards what can easily be measured. Then the metric becomes an outcome and ceases to be a useful metric.”
- 45:45 – Correlations in populations: “When you restrict the range to people that are already elite, some of these measurements are no longer important.”
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. We just announced the lineup for next season starting in this month and opened up registration. You can learn more here. Dr. Joyner was on the panel for last month’s class and will present his own session later in the year.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- You can learn more about Joyner from his Mayo Clinic faculty biography. You can also follow him on Twitter (@DrMJoyner).
- Joyner was also a guest on GAINcast 120 and GAINcast 59.