The Olympic Games just wrapped up last week. Along with some amazing performances comes some great lessons on performance, coaching, sport, and life. On this week’s GAINcast we sit down to share some of our insights after reflecting on the Tokyo Olympics.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 2:15 – Emma Weyant and owning the finish: “Anyone can be good in the first quarter, but it really comes down to who owns the finish. We have workouts with the theme: own the finish.”
- 8:30 – Damien Warner and the value of sticking with your coach: “There is so much to be said for the coach-athlete bond and knowing the athlete. Warner’s coaches grew with him. They didn’t hold him back.”
- 12:30 – Head adaptation: “Heat, like anything else, the body adapts to. If you need to perform in the heat, it will help to train in the heat.”
- 18:15 – Chasing ideal conditions.
- 20:00 – Javelin runway.
- 24:15 – US relays and getting the baton around the track.
- 29:30 – Training camps.
- 31:35 – Experience competing internationally.
- 34:30 – Training cultural differences between swimming and track.
- 41:30 – Thoughts on the throwing events.
- 47:15 – Mental health and coaching: “I hope we can look not just at athlete mental health, but also coach mental health. The pressure on the coaches is enormous, and to coach at that level the coach has to make a lot of sacrifices. We’re often ignoring the coach.”
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. We recently started up the second season and it is not too late to sign up. You can learn more here.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- Some of the latest research on heat adaptation is summarized in this recent article from Alex Hutchinson.
- Damien Warner’s support team went the extra mile in Olympic preparations, including organizing training at a hockey rink during the lockdown.
- For a bit more on the condition of the javelin runway, check out this post from Polish javelin thrower Marcin Krukowski.
- A few prior episodes referenced in this episode: GAINcast 162 with USA Weightlifting CEO Phil Andrews and GAINcast 219 with sports scientist Dave Martin.