The end of the year is upon us, so we asked our team of HMMR Media contributors to reflect on the year behind us. Joining us on the episode are James Marshall, Chris McCormick, Domhnaill Fox, Andy Stone, Patrick McHugh, and Vern Gambetta. They all share what they’ve been learning, plus the mistakes they made in 2021.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 2:30 – What Nick learned in 2021: building buy-in with consistency. “Consistency builds buy in. Consistency helps you see the plan is working.”
- 5:45 – What Martin learned in 2021: the value of rolling and gymnastics.
- 8:00 – Mistakes Nick and Martin made.
- 10:15 – Digital vs. analog training logs and how to balance technology.
- 19:00 – James Marshall: “Role models are key in club culture. With COVID attrition this is more important than ever: role models show new members the expected behaviors. They learn faster than being told expectations.”
- 24:00 – Chris McCormick: “There is more to what you do that just your job. The job comes easy, but you also have to make sure your health and performance is well so you can continue to do those things. Your job might not always be there, but everything else will be, so take care of it.”
- 28:15 – Vern Gambetta: “Connections are more important than the knowledge exchanged.”
- 32:30 – Patrick McHugh: “2021 taught me that just because something starts out messy, that doesn’t mean it can’t be a great year. Embrace the process. Try to win every day. Consistency over everything else.”
- 35:45 – Andy Stone: “My methods of instruction might have been too complex and I lost the value of direct instruction. This year I went back and isolated certain elements. There are certain things you have to do that might be best to teach directly, not just through the environment.”
- 42:15 – Donie Fox: “Keep the main thing, the main thing. In order to keep business strong you have to focus your limited energy on the most important things.”
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives. The current site theme is sports science. Check back throughout the month for more content on the topic, and visit our sports science archive for more content on the topic.
- Today’s episode had contributions from HMMR Media authors James Marshall, Chris McCormick, Vern Gambetta, Patrick McHugh, Andy Stone, and Donie Fox.
- For more on basic rolling, check out the GAIN Rugby Workshop from James Marshall and Andy Stone. It also contains some great wrestling progressions as well. Our friends at Ultimate Instability also have some great inflatable mats that can make gymnastics more fun in any space.
- We had a similar episode to close of 2019. You can listen to that on Episode 212. You can listen to Episode 205 for our own reflections on our coaching in 2019. Before the we also debriefed on our seasons in Episode 169, Episode 117 Episode 110 and Episode 71.
- Vern also mentioned some of the insights he took away from the Tokyo Olympics. We discussed those in more detail on GAINcast 222.