We’re kicking off the year with our annual combined episode of the GAINcast and HMMR Podcast to discuss the state of training for sports. A lot has changed over the past year, so we sit down to discuss some of the biggest issues facing sports, the hot topics on our mind, and what we’re looking forward to in 2022.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:30 – Moving targets: “They always tell us, if you do this then things will be fine. But then it isn’t. There’s a moving target and that’s frustrating.”
- 4:00 – Controlling the controllables.
- 5:30 – The value of the extra year.
- 6:30 – Beyond leg circuits: “There are threshold criteria that need to be met before you even start the leg circuits.”
- 10:45 – Examples of leg circuit progressions: “You don’t need to squat heavy twice a week to get a big squat.”
- 15:45 – Buy in strategies for bodyweight exercises.
- 18:00 – The 1×20 method: “It can tick a lot of boxes, but it can’t tick them all. It is a method, not a system.”
- 24:00 – The value of a new stimulus: “All these new methods come out, and it works well. But sometimes that is just because it is new. Maybe it isn’t better or worse, but it is new.”
- 24:45 – Throws outlook for 2022.
- 28:00 – The transformation of American hammer throwers.
- 31:45 – Gap year.
- 34:30 – Flying the discus, throwing volume, and finding volume through other implements.
- 40:15 – Transfer of maximum strength.
- 43:00 – Lessons from Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and how Nick’s training has evolved and rethinking how to teach technique.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. Sign up and learn more here.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- We recorded similar episodes to kick off 2021 (GAINcast 206), 2019 (GAINcast 150), 2018 (GAINcast 98), and 2017 (GAINcast 46).
- You can learn more about leg circuits in the HMMR Classroom Video Lesson 13: Leg circuits. The upcoming GAIN Master Class event on January 27th will also focus on the topic.
- We discussed Nick’s progressions and the 1×20 method in more detail on GAINcast 209.
- The aerodynamics of throwing were also discussed on GAINcast 229 with Kevin McGill.