https://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/episode_265.jpg 315 600 Martin Bingisser http://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HMMR-Full-Logo400.png Martin Bingisser2022-01-31 03:49:282022-01-31 03:49:33HMMR Podcast Episode 265: Philosophy 101
HMMR Podcast Episode 265: Philosophy 101
We often share our training methods and programming. But behind every plan is a philosophy. A philosophy is the set of beliefs that act as a guiding principle for our decisions. On this week’s podcast we share our own training and coaching philosophies, with examples of how that translates from theory to practice.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 2:15 – Why philosophy matters: “What you see on social media is a bunch of stuff, often with absolutes. The reality is more nuanced. Tell me when and why you are doing something. Share your philosophy.”
- 4:30 – Can you explain your philosophy in one sentence?
- 6:30 – Nick’s philosophy: “All of my athletes have had success with different systems. It shows you there are lots of ways to get things done. The process and philosophy is more important than the methods. Prioritize and execute.”
- 12:00 – How a philosophy evolves: “Some coaches get more open minded as they gain experience. Some get more closed minded. Which one are you?”
- 14:45 – Martin’s training philosophy: “There are a lot of ways to get good, but you have to be consistent no matter the methods. You need to be able to train consistency to be good. And a program that allows for consistency is key.”
- 18:15 – Building connections.
- 20:15 – Nick’s coaching philosophy: “Set high standards and athletes will rise to them if you hold to them. Standards show you care. Would you rather have somebody with no expectations for you, or high expectations for you?”
- 23:00 – The connection between training, coaching, and life philosophy.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- GAIN 2022 will take place from June 14 to 18 in Houston Texas. You can learn more about GAIN 2022 on GAINcast 235 and send in your application on the GAIN website.
- For more lessons from master coaches and their training philosophies, check out HMMR Classroom Video Lesson 14.
- The cumulative training effect was discussed in more detail on GAINcast 208.