If I had to chose one word to define 2021 it would be chaos. If I had to choose another word, it would be growth. Through all the chaos HMMR Media saw a lot of growth this year: personal growth, educational growth, as well as new members and new content on the site. In 2020 our 35 contributors produced 52 podcast episodes, 176 articles, 9 premium video lessons, 10 monthly themes, 3 training programs, 48 research article summaries in our Sports Science Monthly, and dozens of new exercises to our movement library.
To help you sort through all the great content, we’ve assembled our top 30 articles, 10 podcasts, and 5 videos from the year. If you want more, you can browse our archives and also check out our top content from 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.
If you aren’t already a HMMR Plus member, join now to get access to everything in our site archives and all the new content we have planned for 2022 as well.
Videos, podcasts, and themes
Each month this year we focused on a different monthly theme. Find links to each monthly theme below, as well as our top new videos and podcasts. For more content, become a HMMR Plus member and visit the HMMR Classroom.
New video lessons
- Video Lesson 27: History of sprint training with PJ Vazel
- GAIN Video 16: Philadelphia Union warmup with Bill Knowles
- Video Lesson 24: Mobility sets with Steve Myrland and Joe Przytula
- GAIN Video 17: Soccer speed with Vern Gambetta
- Video Lesson 28: Advanced medicine ball training with Nick Garcia
- Video Lesson 29: Weightlifting complexes with Mona de Lacey
- Video Lesson 25: Rotational shot put master class with Don Babbitt
- Video Lesson 26: Learning from the pandemic
- GAIN Video 18: Sorting sports science in a digital era with Peter Weyand
Articles and training programs
Our roster of world-class coaches contributing to HMMR Media has grown to 35 this year, including 4 new authors: Dean Benton of Rugby Australia, Johnny Parkes of IMG Tennis, pole vault coach Herbert Czingon, and sprint/throws coach PJ Vazel. We’ve categorized our top 30 articles by topic below.
- Speed basics training program by Vern Gambetta
- Rethinking speed development for team sports by Dean Benton
- What sprint coaches can teach us about speed training by Martin Bingisser
- Off-ice speed training for on-ice performance by Xavier Roy
- Improving speed across football codes by Craig Pickering
Planning and periodization
- A practical approach to individualization by James Marshall
- A theme-based approach to microdosing training by Xavier Roy
- Microtesting: rethinking your testing strategy to improve your decision making by Craig Pickering
- Balance first, individualization second by Nick Garcia
- Tips to individualize training in a team setting by Xavier Roy
- Medicine ball training for tennis by Johnny Parkes
- Own your range: getting the most from your ankle mobility by Donie Fox
- Three effective alternatives to Olympic lifting by Nick Garcia
- How medicine balls work their magic and Training design considerations for the medicine ball by Vern Gambetta
- Simplifying training with weightlifting complexes by Martin Bingisser
- 4 sports science research trends to keep an eye on by James de Lacey
- Coaching significance vs. statistical significance by Vern Gambetta
- How little can we do? by James de Lacey
- Sports science: moving beyond numbers by James Marshall
- On the folly of rewarding A, while hoping for B by Craig Pickering
More sports science research summaries are available in the Sports Science Monthly archive.