Becoming the best is about getting the most out of yourself as a coach and as a person. It’s about learning. On this week’s GAINcast we explore the nuances of learning and some overlooked methods to learn and improve.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:15 – Continuous learning: “Learning is a life story. What keeps me learning is that you are always trying to get better. Learning is how you look for an edge.”
- 3:15 – Why coaches stop learning.
- 4:15 – How do you learn?
- 5:30 – Lessons from Formula 1.
- 7:00 – Finding your learning path: “There isn’t a right way to learn. The most important part is the intent and the search.”
- 8:15 – Developing a filter. “I won’t go to a movie until I hear 5 very different people say that it is very good. If they all say I have to see it, then I see it. The same thing with learning. Find a filter for the tsunami of information.”
- 11:00 – Interactive learning.
- 13:00 – The value of watching training sessions.
- 16:30 – What do you look at in sessions? “I don’t meet up with coaches for coffee anymore. I try to meet them at their training, or invite them to mine. Watching training is a much better conversation starter.”
- 19:30 – How do you challenge yourself to keep learning? “If I want to do something, I want to do it better and be the best I can possibly be. The way to do that is to keep learning.”
- 21:30 – Learning via GAIN.
- 23:45 – Reflection: “What did I learn today? If I didn’t learn anything, chances are I didn’t go there with the right mindset into practice.”
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- GAIN 2022 will take place from June 14 to 18 in Houston Texas. You can learn more about GAIN 2022 and send in your application on the GAIN website.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more. A HMMR membership is also included with GAIN 2022 registration.
- Learning was also the topic on GAINcast 116: Learning to learn and GAINcast 181: Reading, learning, and living.
- Vern has written about learning in a many articles as well, including My learning milestones and Learning – Continuous Personal & Professional Development.