February/March 2022 in review: throwing
Throughout February and March we looked at team at topic close to our heart: throwing. Our team of contributors put together 2 new videos, 6 new podcasts, and 5 new articles on the topic from 10 contributors. Find links to both our new and archived resources on throwing below.
» Past themes: see a full archive of our past monthly themes here.
New video and audio
- Video Lesson 30: Accelerating the hammer with Kibwé Johnson and Martin Bingisser
- Video Lesson 31: Advanced specific strength concepts with Martin Bingisser
- HMMR Podcast 266: Use the ball with Lance Deal
- HMMR Podcast 267: The simple throw with Andy Bloom
- HMMR Podcast 268: Training athleticism for throwers with Åsmund Martinsen
- HMMR Podcast 269: The shot put episode
- GAINcast 237: Coach the person with Debbie Strange
- GAINcast 236: Learning to move with Rob Gray
- Lesson 9: Specific Strength for Throwing with Nick Garcia and Martin Bingisser
- Lesson 10: Hammer Throw Technique with Martin Bingisser
- Lesson 16: Specific strength framework for throwing René Sack
- Lesson 17: Rotational throwing progressions with Nick Garcia
- Lesson 25: Rotational shot put master class with Don Babbitt
- August 2017 Hangout: Accelerating the hammer with Sergej Litvinov and Kevin McMahon
- September 2018 Hangout: Hammer throw orbit and technique with Sergej Litvinov, Martin Bingisser, and Sean Donnelly
- 6 ways to start in the shot put by Martin Bingisser and Nick Garcia
- Embracing the riddle of movement by Kibwé Johnson
- 3 lessons to help find your throw by Martin Bingisser
- Teaching general and specific throwing skills by James Marshall
- What coaches can learn from watching kids throw by Martin Bingisser
Archived podcasts interviews
We’ve had more than 50 podcast episodes with throwers and throws coaches. You can find a list of the relevant episodes in our podcast episodes. We’ve also had even more detailed written interviews with the world's top coaches and throwers:
- Jean-Pierre Egger discusses the training of Werner Günthör and Valerie Adams.
- Jüri Tamm looks at Soviet training and hammer throw technique.
- Don Babbitt explains how he individualizes training and Nick Garcia looks at training youth throwers.
- Coach Vésteinn Hafsteinsson explains how he guided Gerd Kanter and Daniel Stahl.
- Olympic champions Primoz Kozmus, Adam Nelson, and Mac Wilkins.
- Sergej Litvinov tells how the hammer moves and we look at how to stay low and increasing double support.
- US champions Kevin McMahon and Ed Burke.
- A panel of elite throws coaches look at how to use Olympic lifting for throwers.