It’s time to open the listener mailbag again. On this episode we answer some questions about using video in training, isometrics, hypertrophy, post-competition routines, throwing technique, and more.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:45 – How do you use video in training and competitions?
- 6:30 – The lost art of the detailed technical analysis: “Video is so easy and simple to use now that we often use it superficially, when it should be a detailed tool for catching what you’re eye can’t. We take a quick look at the last throw, not the last month or year to see if we’re making the progress we expect.”
- 10:30 – Using isometrics with elite athletes.
- 13:15 – Maintaining a healthy lifestyle as a coach.
- 16:15 – Routines and boundaries: “How much should you put in as a coach? Put as much passion into coaching an athlete as they do into being coached.”
- 19:30 – Spin vs. glide in the shot put.
- 21:00 – Post-competition routines.
- 24:30 – How training changes as an athlete ages: “In order to improve you need to increase volume, especially volume of specific work.”
- 28:15 – How important is maximum weight room strength for throws: “Understand what creates your throw. Do you find distance through your speed, athleticism, coordination, or strength? Then you’ll know how much each factor can help you improve.”
- 32:00 – Hammer throw questions.
- 32:15 – How important is hypertrophy: “In most cases, if you have a good long-term plan you’ll get to the right size. Rarely is there a need to focus extra energy on isolated hypertrophy work.”
- 37:45 – American football in the UK.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives. This month’s site theme is preparing for contact, so keep an eye out for more on the topic in the coming weeks. You can find more information about training for field sports and contact sports here.
- You can hear us answer more questions on Episode 257, Episode 247, Episode 246, Episode 241, Episode 213, Episode 199, Episode 176, Episode 174, Episode 143, Episode 126 and Episode 89.
- For some more resources on shot put rotational technique: Video Lesson 25: Rotational shot put master class with Don Babbitt and Video Lesson 17: Rotational throwing progression with Nick Garcia.
- For some more resources on hammer throw technique: Video Lesson 30: Accelerating the hammer with Kibwé Johnson, rethinking drills for the hammer throw, August 2017 Hangout: Accelerating the hammer, and 3 vs 4 turns.