GAIN 2022 starts tomorrow and our theme this year is coloring outside the lines. On this week’s GAINcast we share some ideas on coaching, what the lines are, and when to know when to color outside the lines.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 2:30 – General thoughts on coloring outside the lines. “As a coach you start coloring inside the lines, then you realize that the lines have artificial or real constraints. Sometimes you have to go beyond them.”
- 6:15 – Example from bounding. “I hate to be the lawyer, but they teach you in law school that it depends. It really does. You can’t often say this is good or this is bad. Something’s value is in how it is used.”
- 7:45 – Beyond the exercise.
- 10:00 – Beyond periodization.
- 12:15 – Learning from experience: “We are not coaching numbers we are coaching people.”
- 13:15 – Controversial training ideas and critiquing isolated training.
- 17:45 – Final thoughts.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic: