https://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/episode_276.jpg 315 600 Martin Bingisser http://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HMMR-Full-Logo400.png Martin Bingisser2022-06-20 08:13:392022-06-20 08:21:00HMMR Podcast Episode 276: Learnings from GAIN
HMMR Podcast Episode 276: Learnings from GAIN
Vern Gambetta’s GAIN conference took place for the first time since 2019, and we were there to experience it. On this week’s podcast we reflect on our biggest learnings and takeaways from GAIN 2022.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 2:30 – The role of fathers in sport.
- 5:45 – Recap of the GAIN experience.
- 7:30 – Lessons from morning madness practical sessions.
- 12:00 – Lessons from GAIN member case studies: “Kevin Becker showed us there are not a lot of quick fixes in sports psychology. Just like training, it often takes time to do it right.”
- 14:15 – Examples from training plan design: “Talk about training efficiently: Brian FitzGerald’s team won the California state 4x400m relay without ever running over 300m in training. Broken reps are a key.”
- 17:30 – Lessons on throwing from Kevin Becker and Paul Davis: “As Paul Davis said, throwing is throwing. All throws are different, but they have a lot in common. Pitchers can learn from shot putters.” “The standard practice model is take a throw and get feedback. Kevin Becker challenged us to think if there is a better way to structure that.”
- 22:15 – Other presentations.
- 24:30 – Insights from Nick’s training workshops.
- 27:45 – Final thoughts.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives. This month’s site theme is jumping, so keep an eye out for more on the topic in the coming weeks. You can learn more about jumping and sprinting on our topic page.
- To learn more about GAIN, visit the GAIN website.
- For a recap of past GAIN conferences listen to Episode 200 (2019), Episode 159 (2018), and Episode 108 (2017).
- Some of the faculty members have contributed to the site including Kevin Becker and his webinar on feedback, instructions, and constraints in coaching and Paul Davis on GAINcast 35, Grace Golden on GAINcast 197, Johnny Parkes on Episode 227, and Brian FitzGerald on Episode 153.