For the first time ever, the World Championships will take place in the United States, bringing the world’s best throwers to battle it out in Oregon. The action kicks off next week, but this week we already sit down with Shaun Pickering to break down each event with the top storylines, predictions, and more.
Notes and quotes
Shaun Pickering is a coach, commentator, and supporter of the throws. As an athlete, he competed in the shot put at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and won bronze at the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Commonwealth Games. He is a member of the Welsh Athletics hall of fame after capturing 19 Welsh titles in the shot put, discus, and hammer titles. In addition, he is a founding trustee of the Ron Pickering Memorial Fund, where he helps support the next generation of athletes.
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 1:30 – Nick and Martin’s predictions: shot put.
- 3:30 – Nick and Martin’s predictions: discus.
- 4:30 – Nick and Martin’s predictions: hammer throw.
- 7:30 – Nick and Martin’s predictions: javelin.
- 9:30 – Shaun reflecting on America as a host nation and getting the World Championships to the US.
- 13:15 – The benefits and downsides or Eugene as a host.
- 18:00 – Facilities preview.
- 22:15 – Women’s shot put preview and the rise of the spin.
- 29:45 – Men’s shot put preview, the Crouser rule, and officiating.
- 39:20 – Women’s discus preview and the role of the new shoe rules.
- 46:15 – Men’s discus preview.
- 52:30 – Women’s hammer throw preview
- 56:30 – Men’s hammer throw preview.
- 1:01:30- Men’s javelin preview.
- 1:04:30 – Women’s javelin preview.
- 1:06:00 – About the World Athletics Coaches Club in Eugene.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- You can follow Pickering on Twitter (@ShaunDPickering) and Instagram (@ShaunDPickering).
- You can learn more from Pickering in our Olympic debrief on Episode 255. He was one of many that provided detailed commentary and debriefing on the Tokyo Olympics.
- Pickering is heavily involved with the Ron Pickering Memorial Fund, which provides grants to developing athletes. You can make a donation on their website.
- For more about the Oregon22 Coaches Club, visit the Global Athletics Coaching Academy website.