August/September 2022 in review: session design
Throughout August and September we looked at session design. A lot of literature is out about season planning and periodization, but much less time is spent dissecting the session. The session is the building block of training and if you don’t have good training sessions, you have no chance for good seasons either. This summer we have put together 1 new video lesson, 3 new podcasts and 4 new articles on the topic from 7 contributors. Find links to both our new and archived resources on session planning below.
» Past themes: see a full archive of our past monthly themes here.
New audio and video
- GAIN Video 19: The training session with Nick Garcia
- HMMR Podcast 282: Skills session planning with Kevin Becker
- HMMR Podcast 281: Finding flow with Steve Myrland
- GAINcast Episode 249: The training session
Archived audio and video
- GAINcast 113: Training session management
- GAINcast 81: Changing practice
- See our training programs available in the HMMR Classroom for examples of how training session design looks in practice.
- Session planning in sports: moving away from tradition? by Xavier Roy
- Hats and hooks: an easy way to start planning a training session by Steve Myrland
- 4 lessons on structuring your training sessions by Nick Garcia
- The pencil is mightier than the spreadsheet by James Marshall
- Creating and implementing template-based training by Nick Garcia
- Thoughts on planning a training session for planning a training session by Vern Gambetta
- Some thoughts on changing practice by Vern Gambetta