Earlier this month the annual GAIN Swimming event took place. Over the past decade, GAIN has become the leading name when it comes to dry land training. On this week’s podcast Chris Webb and Vern discuss what GAIN Swimming is all about and how they are trying to reinvent dry land training for swimmers of all levels.
Notes and quotes
Chris Webb leads GAIN Swimming, where they focus on helping swim clubs install holistic long-term preparation plans to help their swimmers become better athletes and reach new levels. Webb was previously a coach with Fort Collins Area Swim Team, Carmel Swim Club, Carmel High School, SwimMAC, T2 Aquatics, and University of Pittsburgh (his alma mater).
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 5:00 – History and background of GAIN Swimming.
- 10:00 – A systemic approach.
- 11:45 – Transfer of training: “Physical preparation work doesn’t make you a better swimmer, it enables you to go in the pool and practice better.”
- 12:45 – GAIN Swimming annual event.
- 20:30 – Coloring outside the lines and the future of GAIN Swimming.
- 24:30 – People.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is sponsored by GAIN. Prior GAIN attendees can renew their membership to get continued access to the GAIN library and this year’s talks. If you haven’t been to GAIN before, sign up for the GAIN Master Class series for access to 24 in-depth lectures on a variety of athletic development topics.
- We’re also brought to you by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- You can learn more from Webb and GAIN Swimming on Instagram (@gain_swim), Twitter (@GAINSwimming), or the GAIN Swimming website.
- Webb was also a guest on GAINcast 66 where he talked with Vern about the champion’s choice.