On this week’s episode we jump into the trenches and look at some recent training trends, misconceptions, and ideas on planning. We also share some examples of good training we’ve seen first hand this summer.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 1:45 – The purpose of training: “Physical preparation isn’t what makes you better, it enables you to practice better.”
- 5:00 – Understanding training: “It’s not the exercise, it’s the movement. It’s not the content, it’s the context.” “Don’t confuse a training method with a training system.”
- 9:45 – Training and testing.
- 13:30 – Motor learning: “Why are we so eager to try new things in the weight room, but reluctant on the pitch?”
- 18:00 – Planning for an athlete’s strengths, including examples from the pole vault.
- 24:30 – Examples from throwing and swimming.
- 27:30 – Group dynamics in training.
- 29:45 – US throws dominance, and thoughts on the javelin.
- 35:00 – Rhythm and tempo: “Some people hear the music, others feel the music.”
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is sponsored by GAIN. Prior GAIN attendees can renew their membership to get continued access to the GAIN library and this year’s talks. If you haven’t been to GAIN before, sign up for the GAIN Master Class series for access to 24 in-depth lectures on a variety of athletic development topics.
- We’re also brought to you by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- We mentioned Vern’s new morning walks project. You can see them all on Instagram (@gainnetwork). We’ve also compiled the first 10 thoughts here and here.
- Our recent discussion on motor learning in session design with Kevin Becker on HMMR Podcast 282 was discussed on this podcast. That was one of many articles and interviews from August and September on the topic of session design.
- On the topic of the pole vault, we recommend listening to this interview with former American pole vault record holder Brad Walker and learning more also from coach Herbert Czingon.