GAINcast Episode 255: On testing
Testing is a crucial part of the training and coaching process. On this episode of the GAINcast Vern walks through his approach to testing and shares his best practices, including a walk through of how he set up and implemented the testing program at the Chicago White Sox in the 1990s.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 2:15 – Defining priorities: “What is the most important thing in your sport? What do you test? If there is a mismatch you need to rethink your approach to testing.” “If you train to the demands of the sport, you should test to the demands of the sport.”
- 3:30 – Frequency.
- 4:45 – The origins of training is testing, testing is training.
- 6:00 – The difference between testing and monitoring, and making data actionable.
- 7:30 – Don’t overlook video analysis and key workouts.
- 8:00 – Defining key workouts.
- 9:30 – White Sox testing protocol: goals and logistics.
- 12:45 – Discussing the individual tests and why they were included in White Sox testing.
- 14:45 – Making testing competitive.
- 17:00 – Physical vs. skill testing: “With testing we were looking at the underlying physical qualities you need to play the sport, not the skill itself. Don’t confuse the too.”
- 19:15 – The environment.
- 20:45 – Training logs and journals.
- 21:30 – Making testing sport specific.
- 23:30 – Jump testing, reactive strength, technology, and ideas.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is sponsored by GAIN. Prior GAIN attendees can renew their membership to get continued access to the GAIN library and this year’s talks. If you haven’t been to GAIN before, sign up for the GAIN Master Class series for access to 24 in-depth lectures on a variety of athletic development topics.
- We’re also brought to you by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- This episode is also brought to you by Swift Performance and their EZE Jump Mat can be found on their website.
- We discussed the 1990s White Sox testing protocol on this week’s episode. You can watch Vern explain and demonstrate the tests in this vintage YouTube video.
- Two past episodes also discussed different aspects of testing: GAINcast 167: Testing use and abuse and GAINcast 101: Test practices. Also check out the recent GAINcast 253 for more on athlete journaling.