It’s time to open the listener mailbag again. On this episode we answer listening questions, with a focus on questions about planning, organization, and even throw in a rant to top things off.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction. “When you ask coaches where they have issues with planning, it is rarely in how you set things but. It’s more in how to adapt it to the situation. How to make it work when the everything changes, logistics throw in a hurdle, etc.”
- 2:00 – Ideas for training with limited equipment and space and using using station training and modular training.
- 7:00 – The benefits of training outside.
- 9:30 – Planning sessions with amateur athletes with inconsistent schedules.
- 14:00 – Managing fatigue and structuring end of season training: “When it gets toward the end of the season and players are tired, you have to look at what is need to do vs. what is nice to do.” “When athletes are fatigued, you probably went too hard for too long in training. Often you can keep the intensity, but focus on shorter sessions.”
- 19:30 – Monitoring remote athletes, and pushing accountability to the athlete.
- 23:30 – Training elasticity for the throwing events.
- 25:15 – Thinking beyond sports specific training: “Youth parents start asking me for sports specific training: these individuals don’t need sports specific training yet. They need a foundation to build upon first. Can they jump and squat? Address that first before you need a sports specific plan.”
- 32:00 – The chicken and the egg.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- You can find all of our top resources on planning and periodization on our topic page.
- For more on Nick’s modular training templates, watch his latest video in the HMMR Classroom: Video Lesson 19 on the training session. You can also learn more about modular training in this article and how it can be individualized.
- We referenced Video Lesson 28: Advanced medicine ball training for more ideas on training elasticity.
- You can hear us answer more questions on Episode 272, Episode 257, Episode 247, Episode 246, Episode 241, Episode 213, Episode 199, Episode 176, Episode 174, Episode 143, Episode 126 and Episode 89.
- In regards to youth training, we referenced the recent GAINcast 253 with Paul Kilgannon.