The year is coming to end, which means it is time for our annual combined episode of the GAINcast and HMMR Podcast to discuss the state of training for sports. We share highlights from our favorite episodes of the year, discuss training trends like isometrics, microdosing vs. split training, and what we’ll be trying out in 2023.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 1:45 – Favorite podcast episodes of the year.
- 4:00 – Learning from throwers.
- 7:00 – Isometrics: “Isometrics are a training method. It needs to fit into the program, not be the whole program.”
- 12:00 – Isometrics for youth athletes and defining priorities with beginners.
- 14:30 – Back to the basics.
- 17:15 – Selling out.
- 20:30 – Spectrum squats, the origin story, and variations of ordering exercises.
- 24:30 – Moving to 2x a week lifting and microdosing vs. split routine: “The weight room is a facilitator to movement. You’re not in there to be lifters, you’re in there to improve your sport performance.”
- 32:30 – Weight room layout design.
- 34:30 – Future trends.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is sponsored by GAIN. Prior GAIN attendees can renew their membership to get continued access to the GAIN library and this year’s talks. If you haven’t been to GAIN before, sign up for the GAIN Master Class series for access to 24 in-depth lectures on a variety of athletic development topics.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- We recorded similar episodes to kick off 2022 (GAINcast 234), 2021 (GAINcast 206), 2019 (GAINcast 150), 2018 (GAINcast 98), and 2017 (GAINcast 46).
- Some of our favorite GAINcast episodes of 2022: GAINcast 257 with Bill Knowles, GAINcast 242 with Jeremy Fischer, GAINcast 241 with Warren Young, and GAINcast 236 with Rob Gray.
- Some of our favorite HMMR Podcast episodes of 2022: HMMR Podcast 285 and HMMR Podcast 287 with John Smith, HMMR Podcast 283 with Kara and Russ Winger, HMMR Podcast 280 with Mitch Courser, HMMR Podcast 267: with Andy Bloom, HMMR Podcast 266 with Lance Deal, and HMMR Podcast 284 with James de Lacey.