As the year comes to close, we look back to share some quick tips from what we learned this year, new things we are trying out, lessons from the John Smith interviews, and how to successfully blend different training methods.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 1:30 – Reflecting on the Johns Smith interviews and Nick’s interpretation.
- 4:30 – Adapting programs and making them your own.
- 6:30 – Mixing Conroy concepts and Bondarchuk.
- 7:45 – 2 days a week vs 4 days a week lifting: “4 hard lifting sessions a week isn’t needed. For most athletes it is too hard, too often. Dial it down, or reduce the number of sessions and you’ll likely make more gains.”
- 11:15 – What you sacrifice with 4 sessions.
- 12:00 – Integrating VBT and speed days.
- 15:00 – Safety squat alternatives.
- 17:30 – Rethinking training beginners and trump cards: “If simple works, keep it simple. Only play your trumps cards when you absolutely need to.” “Many programs lift as much as the coach gives them time to. It’s Parkinson’s Law: work expands to fill the time allotted for its completion.”
- 22:45 – Having an open mind and examples from basketball.
- 24:30 – Final thoughts.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- We referenced several past episodes in this podcast, including: HMMR Podcast 285 and HMMR Podcast 287 with John Smith, HMMR Podcast 243 with Michael Conroy, HMMR Podcast 28 with Tony Ciarelli, as well as resources from Dr. Anatoliy Bondarchuk.