GAINcast Episode 260: The network
GAIN stands for the Gambetta Athletic Improvement Network. Most people think it is all about Gambetta, but the Network is the most important word in GAIN. On this week’s GAINcast, three original GAIN members join us to discuss the power of mentorship, and how the network has evolved their own coaching careers, and some lessons learned from past GAIN events.
Notes and quotes
The three guests today are three original GAIN members. Carissa Sain is the athletic development coach and head women’s basketball coach at Illinois Institute of Technology. Adam Moss is the founder of Moss Sports Performance in Richmond, Virginia. Patrick McHugh is the athletic director and track coach at North Shore Country Day School in Illinois.
- 0:00 – Introduction and faculty announcements.
- 3:00 – First GAIN experiences: “I cannot separate who I am as a coach away from the GAIN network. I have learned so much from so many coaches that I would not be anywhere near the coach I am today without GAIN.”
- 10:00 – Application process and purpose.
- 11:30 – What does the network mean? “GAIN members are curious. That spurs conversation: one coach looking for advice is another coach eager to learn about a new sport or area.”
- 19:15 – The same but different.
- 21:15 – Changing and evolving GAIN.
- 24:30 – GAIN truisms.
- 27:30 – Examples of collaboration.
- 30:00 – Favorite GAIN memories.
- 37:15 – Preview of structural changes.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is sponsored by GAIN. GAIN 2023 will take place from June 13 to 17 and registration is open.
- We are also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- For more about the history of GAIN, daily structure, and what it is about check out GAINcast 235.
- You can follow all three guests on social media: @carissasain and @patmchughAD on Twitter and @mosssportsperformance on Instagram.