The year is coming to end, which means it is time for our annual combined episode of the GAINcast and HMMR Podcast to discuss the state of training for sports. We share highlights from our favorite episodes of the year, discuss training trends like isometrics, microdosing vs. split training, and what we’ll be trying out in 2023.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 1:45 – Favorite podcast episodes of the year.
- 4:00 – Learning from throwers.
- 7:00 – Isometrics: “Isometrics are a training method. It needs to fit into the program, not be the whole program.”
- 12:00 – Isometrics for youth athletes and defining priorities with beginners.
- 14:30 – Back to the basics.
- 17:15 – Selling out.
- 20:30 – Spectrum squats, the origin story, and variations of ordering exercises.
- 24:30 – Moving to 2x a week lifting and microdosing vs. split routine: “The weight room is a facilitator to movement. You’re not in there to be lifters, you’re in there to improve your sport performance.”
- 32:30 – Weight room layout design.
- 34:30 – Future trends.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- We recorded similar episodes to kick off 2022 (Episode 264), 2021 (Episode 239), 2019 (Episode 188), 2018 (Episode 135), and 2017 (Episode 83).
- Some of our favorite HMMR Podcast episodes of 2022: HMMR Podcast 285 and HMMR Podcast 287 with John Smith, HMMR Podcast 283 with Kara and Russ Winger, HMMR Podcast 280 with Mitch Courser, HMMR Podcast 267: with Andy Bloom, HMMR Podcast 266 with Lance Deal, and HMMR Podcast 284 with James de Lacey.
- Some of our favorite GAINcast episodes of 2022: GAINcast 257 with Bill Knowles, GAINcast 242 with Jeremy Fischer, GAINcast 241 with Warren Young, and GAINcast 236 with Rob Gray.