It’s been another year of learning on HMMR Media. In 2022 our 36 contributors produced 52 podcast episodes, over 100 articles, 4 premium video lessons, 6 site themes, 20 detailed research article summaries in our Sports Science Quarterly, and dozens of new exercises to our movement library.
To help you sort through all the great content, we’ve assembled our top 30 articles, 10 podcasts, and 5 videos from the year. If you want more, you can browse our archives and also check out our top content from 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
If you aren’t already a HMMR Plus member, join now to get access to everything in our site archives and all the new content we have planned for 2022 as well.
Videos, podcasts, and themes
Throughout the we focused on a different site themes. Find links to each monthly theme below, as well as our top new videos and podcasts. For more content, become a HMMR Plus member and visit the HMMR Classroom.
New video lessons
- Video Lesson 32: Bounding with John Pryor
- GAIN Video 19: The training session with Nick Garcia
- Video Lesson 31: Advanced specific strength concepts
- Video Lesson 30: Accelerating the hammer with Kibwé Johnson
Articles and training programs
Our roster of world-class coaches contributing to HMMR Media has grown to 35 this year, including 4 new authors: Dean Benton of Rugby Australia, Johnny Parkes of IMG Tennis, pole vault coach Herbert Czingon, and sprint/throws coach PJ Vazel. We’ve categorized our top 30 articles by topic below.
Training methods and session design
- 4 lessons on structuring your training session by Nick Garcia
- Common training mistakes relating to poor planning by Vern Gambetta
- Developing explosive power with creative solutions for eccentric overload by James de Lacey
- Training do’s and don’ts: hard/easy by Vern Gambetta
- Training do’s and don’ts: warmup and cooldown by Vern Gambetta
Periodization and long-term planning
- The top 5 periodization myths by Martin Bingisser
- Replacing prediction models with learning models by Martin Bingisser
- Training do’s and don’ts: planning (a.k.a the prediction addiction) by Vern Gambetta
- Why the barbell strategy fails in sports performance by Martin Bingisser
- Training do’s and dont’s: peaking and tapering by Vern Gambetta
Sprinting and Jumping
- 6 ways to start in the shot put by Martin Bingisser and Nick Garcia
- Embracing the riddle of movement by Kibwé Johnson
- 3 lessons to help find your throw by Martin Bingisser
- Teaching general and specific throwing skills by James Marshall
- What coaches can learn from watching kids throw by Martin Bingisser
Injuries and injury prevention
- Developing mobility for tackling and grappling sports by Andy Stone
- Progressing to contact in training by James Marshall
- Preparing the neck for contact by James de Lacey