This year’s GAIN has come and gone and what an experience it was. On this week’s GAINcast Vern and Martin share the biggest learnings at this year’s GAIN. Plus they discuss in detail the key characteristics of a training system.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is sponsored by GAIN. GAIN 2023 will take place from June 13 to 17 and registration is open.
- We are also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- Nick Garcia’s presentation from from GAIN 2023 can be listened to on last week’s HMMR Podcast Episode 302, including some highlights from this year’s GAIN.
- Many of the GAIN faculty mentioned have also been on past GAINcasts. For example you can listen to Paul Kilgannon on GAINcast 253, Grace Golden on GAINcast 197, and Travis Knight on HMMR Podcast 223.
Key quotes and topics
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 1:45 – GAIN highlights: “To have a strong culture, you have to have a common language.”
- 6:00 – Generating buy in.
- 9:15 – Common sense motor learning: “Ecological dynamics, constraints-led learning, all of that, it’s all fine, but more traditional methods of teaching have their place. It’s often presented as a false dichotomy.”
- 13:15 – Characteristics of a system: “A good system is principle-based, grounded in pedagogy, informed by science, and tested in competition.”
- 15:30 – Session elements.
- 20:15 – Coaching the whole person
- 23:00 – Adding to a system: “Integration of new ideas works best when you have a system and process. If you just have chaos, adding more just means it will be more chaotic.”
Join Now to Keep ReadingThis is just the beginning. To continue reading this article you must be a HMMR Plus member. Join now to get access to this and more content. Learn more and sign up here. If you are already a member, log in here.