How do you integrate new and beginning athletes into your program? Nick recently presented on this topic at the annual GAIN conference. On this week episode we share some excerpts from his presentation, as well as other highlights from the conference.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- This episode was recorded at GAIN. You can learn more about GAIN here, and several past GAIN presentations are available to HMMR Plus Members in the HMMR Classroom.
- For more on Nick’s modular training templates, watch his latest video in the HMMR Classroom: Video Lesson 19 on the training session. You can also learn more about modular training in this article and how it can be individualized.
- Several other presenters were mentioned on this episode. You can learn more from them on past episodes of the HMMR Podcast and GAINcast, including: Paul Kilgannon on GAINcast 253, Johnny Parkes on Episode 227, Travis Knight on Episode 223. Jimmy Radcliffe has also contributed to the site on GAIN Video 12 in the HMMR Classroom.
Key quotes and topics
- 0:00 – Introduction and GAIN highlights.
- 7:00 – Learning from BBQ
- 10:00 – Logistics of onboarding: “I first establish what the expectations are for the athletes. What we do and why we’re gonna do it. Then we need to get familiar with the facility and learn the vocabulary. We create a common language we can use in training going forward.”
- 12:00 – Learning progressions: “Learning progressions: first we learn positions, then add movement, then rhythm, and finally effort.”
- 13:00 – Introduction to training.
- 18:15 – Why these movements and sample session.
- 19:45 – Teaching.
Join Now to Keep ReadingThis is just the beginning. To continue reading this article you must be a HMMR Plus member. Join now to get access to this and more content. Learn more and sign up here. If you are already a member, log in here.