Some coaches make training seem complex. Some make it seem oh so simple. And when you play the long game it is. Coach Paddy McGrath has been coaching Rudy Winkler for nearly 15 years. Slow and steady he’s developed into the American record holder and a favorite for the podium at this summer’s World Championships. On this week’s episode he joins us to talk about his approach to training, teaching, and throwing.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- You can follow McGrath on Instagram at (@paddyhammer77.49m).
- For more resources on the hammer throw you can find on our throwing page. Some top podcasts on the hammer throw include Episode 266 with Lance Deal and Episode 192 with Kevin McMahon.
- Here’s a little article I wrote back in 2013 to quiet critics who were second guessing Winkler’s college choice of an academic powerhouse over a throwing powerhouse.
Key quotes and topics
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 2:45 – Throwing hot spots.
- 5:15 – Growth of hammer in the US.
- 7:15 – Feedback and keeping people in the sport: “Being a teacher for so long, it’s helped me to know that every kid is different and every kid has weaknesses and strengths, and you have to try and develop individually each kid. It’s a project.”
- 12:30 – Programming and recovery: “So I tried to teach the kids like the main trick is not to get injured. The main trick is to do enough that you don’t get hurt because then you start back at zero.”
- 16:45 – The small world of throwing.
- 21:15 – Rudy’s development.
- 23:45 – Building consistency.
- 30:00 – Technique and throwing philosophy: “I always feel like the hammer’s like a movement.”
- 33:00 – Private coaching tips: “The main thing I would look at is the parents. Sometimes if the parents are crazy, I’m not gonna work with the kids.”
- 36:15 – From talent to the top.
Join Now to Keep ReadingThis is just the beginning. To continue reading this article you must be a HMMR Plus member. Join now to get access to this and more content. Learn more and sign up here. If you are already a member, log in here.