In-depth interviews with top coaches and athletes.
- Throws: Don Babbitt (Part 1, Part 2)
- Rugby: Dean Benton (Part 1, Part 2, Tactical Periodization)
- Training Methods: Anatoliy Bondarchuk
- Motor learning: Frans Bosch
- Shot Put: Jean-Pierre Egger (Part 1, Part 2, More)
- Throws and Sprints: Derek Evely (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) and even more with Derek (Part 1, Part 2)
- All Track and Field: Vern Gambetta (Part 1, Part 2)
- Youth Throwing: Nick Garcia (Part 1, Part 2)
- Discus: Vésteinn Hafsteinsson (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- MMA: Joel Jamieson (Part 1, Part 2)
- Periodization: John Kiely (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Decathlon: Harry Marra (Part 1, Part 2)
- American Football: Tom Myslinski (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- All Track and Field: Dan Pfaff (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) and a second interview with him (Part 1 and Part 2)
- Rugby: John Pryor (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Former USOC Chief of Sport Performance: Steve Roush
- Soccer: Dave Tenney (Part 1, Part 2)
- Hurdles: Gary Winckler (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
- Dutch discus thrower Erik Cadée
- German hammer thrower Kathrin Klaas
- Solvenian Olympic hammer champion Primož Kozmus
- Russian hammer thrower Sergey Litvinov Jr.
- Slovakian hammer thrower Marcel Lomnicky
- Canadian shot putter Justin Rodhe
- Olympic flag bearer and hammer thrower Ed Burke (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Two-time Olympic hammer thrower Kevin McMahon (Part 1, Part 2)
- Olympic champion shot putter Adam Nelson
- Former hammer throw world record holder and two-time Olympic medalist Jüri Tamm (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) and a second time (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Olympic champion and former discus world record holder Mac Wilkins (Part 1, Part 2)
Training with Bondarchuk
- Simplifying Bondarchuk
- An exclusive interview with Anatoliy Bondarchuk
- Sample training program and one month training journal
- Reviewing Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Bondarchuk’s Transfer of Training and how 60 meters is a special number in his transfer of training. His book on periodization are reviewed here and here.
- A video introduction to periodization
- Bondarchuk on long term athlete development
- Bondarchuk on maxmimum intensity training
- Bondarchuk’s thoughts on and approach to throwing technique
- A little about Bondarchuk’s background (more here), personality (more here), and sense of humor.
- In defense of Bondarchuk’s training style
General Training Concepts
- Building antifragile athletes
- The crucial difference between force and rate of force development
- The role of strengths and weaknesses in training plan design (more here)
- The Peak-End Rule (more here)
- Reverse transfer of training
- Why more short workouts are better than fewer long workouts
- Podcast interviews I did with the All Things Strength Podcast, Performance Podcast, and the Ultimate Athlete Concepts Podcast
- A video introduction to periodization
- A look at the evolution of periodization
- My periodization manifesto and an introduction to complex periodization
- Simple introduction of adaptation and how to incorporate change into a training plan
Special Strength/Specific Strength
- A video introduction to special strength and a brief overview
- A primer on specific strength training for all sports
- Implementing special strength into training
- Discussing the volume of special strength (more here)
- Sample special strength exercises for the hammer throw
- Using light and heavy hammer to develop special strength (continued here)
- Some of the down sides of throwing short heavy hammers (continued here)
- You can find more on this topic in the Juggernaut Specific Strength Series
Other Training Methods
- Westside Barbell’s Conjugate Method
- A different approach to velocity-based training
- An introduction to Hungarian Hammer Training
- About the legendary Hungarian coach Pál Németh (more here)
- Three steps in coaching technique
- The importance of finding the right cue and cue staleness (more here)
- Leadership and coaching
- Coaching can come in various forms, such as Quiet coaching or the use of paradoxes
- Evaluating the usefulness of a drill
- Coaches are shaping athlete’s minds, not just their bodies
Hammer Throw Technique
- A big picture approach to hammer throw technique
- Most common technical problem in America
- Perfecting the start of the throw (more here)
- Videos about how to stay low and increasing double support
- Pushing the hammer and the difference between being patient and relaxing
- A linear approach to a nonlinear event
- Some thoughts on technique by Sergey Litvinov Jr.
- The orbit of the throw and the rhythm of the throw
- Philosophy and hammer throwing technique
- Why technical training is also a form of strength training
- Chris Cralle Video Analysis
- Julia Ratcliffe Video Analysis
- Olympic Weightlifting for Throwers (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
Biomechanics and Data Analysis
- A brief introduction to the biomechanics of the hammer throw
- Biomechanics lessons from Koji Murofushi
- Suggestions for future hammer throw research (more here)
- An analysis of when hammer throwers hit their prime
- A breakdown of the height, weight, and age of hammer throwers at the London Olympics
- An analysis of qualifying results at past Olympics and World Championships
- The perfect physique for throwing
Hammer in America and Youth Throwing
- The scope of the problem in American hammer throwing
- Discussing how special strength, technique, or lack of youth throwers may be causes
- Discussion of talent identification and how to predict success of young throwers
- Talent is about the potential to grow, not current results
- A look at why American youth hammer throwing has improved so quickly and what others can learn from that
Beinging in October 2013 I have been writing a series on specific strength training for all sports on the popular Juggernaut Training Systems website.
- Specific Strength: An Introduction, Modern Athlete and Coach (October 2015 2010) – Classifying and applying specific exercises for your event.
- Specific About Strength, Athletics Weekly (9 July 2015). An introduction to the theory and practice of specific strength training for all events.
- Building the Next Generation: A Case Study in Resurrecting an Event, New Studies in Athletics (Fall 2013). This paper looks at the causes of a resurgence in American youth hammer throwing in order to see what lessons can be learned from such growth at a time when many other countries see numbers headed in the opposite direction.
- Simplifying Bondarchuk, Modern Athlete and Coach (April 2010) – This articles summarizes the basic principles of Coach Bondarchuk’s training methods.
- Teaching the Hammer Throw: How to Get A Beginner to Throw in Just Days, Track Coach (Fall 2010). Track Coach is the official technical periodical of USA Track & Field Association.
- Teaching the Hammer Throw: Perfecting Technique, Track Coach (Fall 2011).
- Rethinking Your Approach to the Weight Throw, Track Coach (Summer 2006) – This article explores alternative approaches to developing top hammer throwers under the traditional collegiate track and field system.
- Training Theory – Information about the technique and training in the hammer thrower.
- Ask Martin – Q&A.
- Training Talk – Discussing training with some of the world’s best athletes and coaches.
- Training Log – Updates on my training.
- Miscellany – Everything else.