We’re changing things up on this week’s episode. Rather than sharing a coaching perspective, we’re looking at sport through the eyes of a former athlete, sports businesswoman, and daughter . . . not just any daughter, Vern’s daughter. Kristen Gambetta Anderson joins this week’s podcast to discuss her own under rated path through sport, her work in sports business, and provides a new perspective on Vern as a coach and father.
Notes and quotes
Kristen Gambetta Anderson is a senior director of sports and entertainment at Rakuten. As Vern’s daughter, she grew up around sports from a young age and played both soccer and track at Rice University, before transitioning to a career in sports business and marketing.
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 4:30 – Gambetta Anderson’s current role in sports marketing.
- 11:00 – Growing up around athletics and focusing on fun in youthsport.
- 17:00 – Starting late in soccer.
- 19:15 – First love of track and field.
- 21:15 – Having a father as a coach.
- 24:00 – Focusing on one sport and the path to Rice University.
- 30:30 – Back to the track and mental help support.
- 39:15 – Transition to sports business.
- 44:00 – Women’s sports.
- 51:30 – Lessons learned from Vern and the importance of the individual.
- 54:30 – Athlete stories.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. Sign up now to get access to all past and future events in the series.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- You can follow Gambetta Anderson on Twitter (@kgambetta) and Instagram (@kgambetta).