The best programs have a process to keep getting better. This starts with quality debriefing, but it continues with more in-depth training audits. The audit aims to use an outside perspective to thoroughly evaluate a program so you can make objective changes and modifications if necessary. On this week’s GAINcast we explain the various forms training audits can take, along with practical examples of audits in action.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 2:45 – Examples of training audits.
- 6:15 – Purpose: “The goal of a training audit is to thoroughly evaluate the training program so you can make objective changes and modifications if necessary.”
- 7:30 – Informal audits and evaluations. Comparing debriefs and audits: “A debrief is an inside look at the training. An audit brings an outside perspective.”
- 9:00 – Finding an outsider: “We all look at our sport through a certain lens. Bringing in an outside might help you identifying gaps that are being overlooked.”
- 11:30 – Overcoming biases in coaching.
- 14:00 – Starting with a clear understanding of the philosophy and vision.
- 15:30 – Understanding your plan and program: “The 5 Ss of programs are speed, strength, stamina, suppleness, skill. Ask how are they addressed? In what propositions? How do they interact?”
- 17:45 – What was planned vs. what was achieved.
- 20:45 – Facilities and equipment use. “People get locked into training in one small area instead of looking at what else is available.”
- 21:30 – Individualization.
- 22:45 – Visiting other coaches and peer feedback.
- 27:45 – Learning by watching the warmups.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. This month we are looking at using games for developing skills, performance, and fun in training. Sign up and learn more here.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- You can learn more about related topics on GAINcast 133: Getting better feedback and GAINcast 51: The debrief. Vern also wrote some recent thoughts on end of season review/debrief.