What is keeping us from going faster? Ironically, a lot of times it is what we are doing rather than what we aren’t doing. What we other think is helping our speed can be counterproductive. On this week’s GAINcast we discuss some concepts that might be limiting your speed training, as well as methods and planning tips for getting faster.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction and general thoughts on speed: “A lot of times the thing we are doing to work on speed can be counterproductive to speed.”
- 4:00 – Training speed in vs. training speed out: “Training speed will be 8-10 seconds at most, with sufficient rest of at least a minute or more.” “Don’t fall into the volume trap: ask how many meters of straight ahead speed are appropriate for that athlete’s level of development, the position they play, and what their objectives are. Usually it is less than you think.”
- 8:00 – Front side and back side mechanics: “The top sprinters don’t have front side and back side mechanics, they have one long flowing stride putting force into the group. Breaking the stride into two parts can be counterproductive.”
- 10:45 – Issues with isolating sprint mechanics.
- 14:20 – Lessons from Bud Winter and using drills: “When it comes to sprint drills, less is more. Look at prescription relative to where the athlete is now.”
- 18:00 – The role of assisted sprinting.
- 19:30 – Sand as a training method: “Sprinting in sand will exposure your weaknesses and your limiting factors.”
- 24:20 – Top end speed.
- 27:00 – Speed training considerations for field sport athletes.
- 30:30 – Limiting factors for speed: examples from rugby.
- 32:00 – Starting positions: “Combine good starting mechanics with anticipation and reaction and your game speed will be faster.”
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. Speed is a recurring topic in the series, with presentations by ern Gambetta, Brian FitzGerald, Jimmy Radcliffe, and more last season. We recently started up the second season and it is not too late to sign up. You can learn more here.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more. Here is an overview of some of the speed resources available to members.
- Several past GAINcast episodes have looked at speed including: GAINcast 16 on speed, details an initial speed session on GAINcast 39, shares best practices getting faster GAINcast 115, team speed on GAINcast 164, and speed to the max on GAINcast 212. In addition, Brian FitzGerald was a guest on GAINcast 139 and HMMR Podcast 153.
- One book recommended on this episode: Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don’t Know by Adam Grant.