https://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/gaincast_263.jpg 315 600 Martin Bingisser http://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HMMR-Full-Logo400.png Martin Bingisser2023-03-06 04:58:052023-03-06 08:31:20GAINcast Episode 263: Odds and ends
GAINcast Episode 263: Odds and ends
Competition season is starting up again in many sports. We start this week’s GAINcast off by looking at how to best structure training in the days before a competition and how to learn what works best for your individual athletes. In addition we also talk about pre-meet workouts, psychological preparation, GPS data, single-factor models, and much more.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is sponsored by GAIN. GAIN 2023 will take place from June 13 to 17 and registration is open.
- We are also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- A few other resources mentioned on this episode: The Skeptic’s Guide to Sports Science by Nick Tiller, Bogdan Poprawski’s Facebook series. and more from Dr. Michael Joyner on GAINcast 243.
Key quotes and topics
- 0:00 – Introduction.
- 2:00 – Training in the days before competition: “I divide the competition schedule into developmental -important – crucial. Developmental competitions have specific objectives. Important competitions are rehearsals. Then you put it all together for the crucial.” “One of the key things is finding out competition rhythms that work for your athletes. What number of warmups do they need? What types of warmups? When should the last strength training session be?”
- 5:00 – Pre-competition workouts.
- 7:30 – Rethinking game week training structure.
- 11:30 – Psychological factors in pre-meet planning: “When you’re planning up to the meet, you need to think about that psychological aspect. What type of training makes your athletes feel confident?”
- 15:45 – Single-factor models: “Know the biology and if you know the biology you’re not gonna get swept up in looking at one isolated measure. “21:00 – GPS and speed: “There’s no substitute for a good electronic timing system to truly measure speed.”
- 22:30 – Lessons from Bogdan Poprawski.
- 24:00 – Final thoughts.
Join Now to Keep ReadingThis is just the beginning. To continue reading this article you must be a HMMR Plus member. Join now to get access to this and more content. Learn more and sign up here. If you are already a member, log in here.