July 2019 in review: training speed
No matter the sport, speed matters. Speed is a topic we’ve covered a lot here on HMMR Media, and it is also a topic we will keep coming back to because it is so vital to elite performance. In July we put together a variety of resources on the topic from 10 contributors, including 1 new video lesson, 5 new podcast episodes, and 7 detailed training articles.
Below you’ll find links to all our new resources and some highlights from our archives on the topic. As always, become a Plus Member to make sure you get access to all of the vast resources on the site. This also isn’t the first month we’ve focused on training speed. The May 2018 theme was also training speed, and we’ve done even more on the topic going back to the start of the site which are highlighted on our speed page.
» Past themes: see a full archive of our past monthly themes here.
Resources on training speed
New videos and podcasts
- Vern Gambetta’s Total Speed instructional video
- GAINcast Episode 164: Team speed
- GAINcast Episode 165: Minimalist training with Tony Holler
- GAINcast Episode 166: Team sport issues with Nick Lumley
- HMMR Podcast Episode 202: Beyond intensitywith Stuart McMillan
- HMMR Podcast Episode 201: Sprinting and jumping with Randy Huntington
- Track speed vs. team speed by Nick Lumley
- The anatomy of a team sports speed session by James de Lacey
- Sprinting: the ultimate strength training exercise by Martin Bingisser
- The hamstring paradox by Vern Gambetta
- Does sprint training “inoculate” athletes against hamstring injuries? by Warren Young
- Bosch made simple by Martin Bingisser
- For sprinters, losing fat may be better than gaining muscle by Craig Pickering
- Peter Weyand discusses the difference makers in sprint mechanics on GAINcast 89.
- Ken Clark looks at the biomechanics behind linear and multi-directional speed on GAINcast 21 and HMMR Podcast 94.
- Top high school coach Brian FitzGerald breaks down sprinting myths and training methods on HMMR Podcast 153 and GAINcast 139.
- Joe McNab on getting kids fast on HMMR Podcast 77.
- Jonas Tawiah-Dodoo on individualizing speed training on HMMR Podcast 72.
- Vern Gambetta explains speed on GAINcast 16, details an initial speed session on GAINcast 39, and shares best practices getting faster GAINcast 115.
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 7: Robust Running with John Pryor
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 6: Basic Speed with Joe McNab
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 15: Hip lock with Frans Bosch
- Vern Gambetta put together a detailed three-part article series outlining the mechanics of sprinting: part one, part two, and part three.
Archived written interviews
- Pat Connolly discussed the training philosophy behind 100-meter world record holder Evelyn Ashford in our detailed interview.
- Gary Winckler walks through the training methods that produced his record setting hurdlers and sprinters.